Sunday, March 06, 2005

Pudgee: "All Over You Like Puffy On Biggie's Album"



Pudgee AKA Pudgee Tha Phat Bastard is an MC from the 90's that showed a lot of potential and promise. He's worked with some of the biggest names in the industry: Biggie Smalls, Kool G Rap, Ish (Butterfly) from Digable Planets, DMX, and M.O.P. His first album "Give 'em The Finger" was produced by The Trakmasters in 1993, and the forgotten single I'm going to showcase today is executive produced by the legendary Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, and features production by EZ Elpee (Why is there no info. on this cat?! Anyone with solid info on Elpee, please drop your jewels in the comments section).

Now obviously Pudgee has and/or had a lot of great connections in the music industry, and had many great opportunities, and has enough skill to hang with some of Hip Hop's elite. However, the man never made it anywhere, and he seemingly dropped off the face of the earth. The one main thing that I can see as to why he never made it was because he was more of a trend follower than a trend setter. He was slighty behind the times and didn't offer anything new to listeners, but that's not to say he didn't have some dope shit.

I heard Pudgee's debut album in '93 and wasn't very impressed. I remember it having some decent tracks, but nothing really memorable. The next time I came across his work was in '96 when I decided to listen to his 12 inch "Money Don't Make Your World Stop." I decided to listen to it on a whim and because I noticed a track on the B-Side "Make 'em Die" was produced by EZ Elpee, and after hearing that track I bought the record right there. The song had the dopest loop I heard in a minute and I just had to have it. After hearing that track I was open to hearing more fom him. He was supposed to come out with an album entitled "The King Of New York," and it looked like he was poised to try and fill the late Biggie's shoes, but nothing materialized. To this day I don't know if the album even dropped or not, I haven't heard anything about Pudgee since, and there is not very much information on him.

I ripped the 3 tracks from the single for you all to check out. These songs were basically following the iced out gangsta trend of the mid to late 90's, but the production is pretty nice for the time. "Make 'em Die" has the same loop that was used for Nas' "Remember The Times" from his latest album "Street's Disciple." It's still one of my favourite loops...

Money Don't Make Your World Stop
Make 'em Die
Niguhz Fo' Life
Bonus: Make 'em Die Instrumental