Thursday, April 14, 2005

10 Questions With Count Bass D


Here is our first interview for The Low End Theory. We are trying to make this a common thing round here, so stay tuned for more. I had the privilege to ask Count Bass D ten questions via email. If u don’t know who Count Bass D is, he is a rugged emcee and producer out of Nashville, that has released some real dope material. He is also a very talented musican that can play live instruments, but he can kill a mpc 60 and akai s3000 like none other. His album "Dwight Spitz" that was released in 2002, was a masterpiece and what I think was one of the best releases of that year. Real soulful beats and dope creative emceeing that was just a great album all around. His beats have a real unique sound and are just put together so dope. He is on some next level shit. He has just released his newest joint entitled "BEGBORROWSTEEL" and it is seriously one of the best releases of this year so far. If u haven’t had the opportunity to scoop it up, please head over to his site to scoop up a copy. So sit back and read a quick lil interview with Count Bass D. (excuse my bootleg interviewing)

1. When did you first discover hip hop and what were your influences?

Graf in Boston in about '76. The way all the older kids dressed when I was a child. I didn't know what was driving the fashion.

2. When did you get start getting into production and how?

I produced my first recording in Tampa Florida when I was fifteen or sixteen. I was home from school and my brother offered to let me go in the studio to make a joint. He paid for me to go to the studio with Kenny K and I made my first song. Kenny K helped out with that a lot.

3. What was your gear like then and what are you rocking with now?

I had no gear only records. I did it on an EPS I think. I don't know if it was his or if it belonged to the studio.

4. When and what was your first break. How did you get on? And how did u get approached and get a deal on Sony?

I had no gear so many people would pay for me to go in the studio with them to try to get me a deal when I moved to Nashville. Much like my brother had been doing. One of those tapes ended up in the hands of Pete Nice. After the bidding war and lawsuits ended, I was able to move forward. When I got signed in 1993 I had a lawsuit before I even signed the contract. People thought I was going to be really big.

5. Tell me about your first album. I heard you did a lot of the live instrumentation on it yourself. Was there any regrets with it?

You're right I did most of the live instrumentation on Pre-Life Crisis. Regrets waste time.

6. Tell me about what happened after that, with your 2nd project, and what you were doing up till Dwight Spitz. How did you meet your wife? And tell us about your children.

I recorded Art For Sale & two twelve inches. I met my wife at the college I dropped out of. I was doing a radio show with Egon and working at a record label. We have four children that we live our lives for.

7. Tell me about Dwight Spitz. How did that come about and what was the result of it? How was it received in the US and overseas?

Dwight Spitz was me just borrowing a few drum machines and setting out to prove that making beats would be easy for me even if I did it the average rap producer's way. I didn't make much money, but most people know me because of that album. I just shrug my shoulders and wonder why I still often don't believe in myself. Or why I give myself such a hard time about my abilities.

8. How did you link up with Doom and who else have you worked with thru the years? How did the Bella Flek projects come about.

DOOM and I both had similar business dealings since 1993 so it was destined to happen. My discography at the website shows everyone I've worked with. I met Victor Wooten in 1996 and he wasn't lying when he said "I want to work with you sometime".

9. Tell me about BEGBORROWSTEEL and how did this come together and how have you and your music changed throughout the years? How are you going about distributing it with you not on a label. How is it being received and how satisfied are you with it?

BEGBORROWSTEEL is me borrowing drum machines in order to stay afloat. After I changed my mind about moving to Atlanta in 2002 I had to come up with something really bad. I made the album using Van Hunt's MPC and another producer based here named Nikko. My music changes as I change. Not many drastic changes have occured in my life since Dwight Spitz so it doesn't sound as different as maybe Pre-Life Crisis or Art For Sale. Ramp Recordings licensed it and Groove Attack and Caroline are both distributing it worldwide. It's being received very well, but I thought distibutors were in business to make money. I don't understand why my album is so hard to find. CountBassD.com is the label that I am on.

10.What is your favorite track that you have ever made throughout your career and why?

"Worst Case Scenerio (off Art For Sale)" / Listen to it. Think about what's going on right now.

and thats it folks. Please check out Bass D's site and his forum to talk to the man himself. I would like to thank
Oriana of Writehanded.com for making this all possible. Mad props. I have chosen a few of my favorite tracks throughout Bass D's career for you to check out.

T-Boz Tried To Talk to Me (off Pre Life Crisis)
Soyini (off Art For Sale)
Aural S(ect)s (off Dwight Spitz)
Remix 12 (off Count Bass D.com)
Kumbukawatupendapesa(part_2) (off BEGBORROWSTEEL)
Dollar Bil (off BEGBORROWSTEEL)


Also please check out the forums for some good music and other cool shit. Peace.