Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Moods Of Marvin

As one of the first posts on The Low End Theory I decided I wanted to showcase an artist that is widely known. However, I wanted to share their lesser known, but nonetheless absolutely brilliant works. That artist is the late Marvin Gaye, and the selections I'm choosing to share are from his 1978 Motown album entitled "Here,My Dear."



"Here, My Dear" is an autobigraphical masterpiece that chronicles Marvin's failed marriage to Motown founder Berry Gordy's sister, Anna. The album explores everything from lust to love to disillusionment to anger to reconciliation to moving on and starting afresh. What I like most about this album is that Marvin didn't hold back anything. He expressed everything honestly and openly. The music itself is also very brilliant. The influences range from 60's love ballads, to funk, jazz, disco, and it's all blended together seamlessly.

I have chosen 3 of my favourite selections from "Here, My Dear" and made them available for download just below. They are in 128 mp3 format.

Anger
Is That Enough
Falling In Love Again

If you do not have this album in your collection I suggest getting it. Not much sampleable material on this album, but we'll have more of that later for all you Beatheadz in upcoming posts. But for now, just sit back and enjoy some great music.